We have found some of the top bbq grill lights on the market that we’re going to share with you in this guide. Before we do, however, we’re going to take you through a quick guide on finding the best grill light for you and how it can benefit you.
Do your cookouts often happen later than expected? While we certainly don’t mind grilling as the warm summer sunsets over the quiet neighborhood, it does become harder to see what’s actually going on on the grill as it slowly darkens.
Luckily, there’s a simple little gadget that can fix these after hour issues. A grill light is a small yet convenient accessory that you simply attach to your grill and it will light up the entire grate area.
With the help of a grill light, you’ll be able to comfortably and safely cook outside even when it’s dark. Have you ever tried holding a flashlight in your mouth while checking on a brisket or flipping burgers? Not easy and not pretty.
Shall we? Let’s go!
Bottom Line up Front: The Best Grill Lights Reviewed in this Guide
- Cave Tools Barbecue Grill Light
- Grill Light Handle Light
- LED Concepts BBQ Grill Lights Magnetic Base Super-Bright LED Lights-360 Degree
- KOSIN Barbecue Grill Light Magnetic Base Super-Bright LED
- Chef Buddy Adjustable LED Barbeque Grill Light
- Light It! By Fulcrum, 6-LED Clip On
- Life Mounts All Weather LED Barbecue Grill Light
The above links take you to current prices, customer reviews, and further information on Amazon.
Table of Contents
- 1 Exactly What is a Grill Light?
- 2 Why Use One?
- 3 Choosing the Best Grill Light for Your Needs
- 4 Considerations When Buying
- 5 The Best Grill Lights Available in 2021
- 6 Final Words
Exactly What is a Grill Light?
They are compact lights that attach to the handle, shelf, or lid of a barbecue. It will typically light up the entire cooking area, giving you an excellent visual of everything going on.
Before grill lights were even invented, grillers and pitmasters would often have to be a little more inventive if they wanted to grill after dark. There would often be extension cords running from the house to the grill, lamps brought outside, or even trouble lights set up.
As you can imagine, this is not only a hassle but can also be a safety concern as you’re putting cords and indoor lamps so close to a grill.
Most modern grill lights work on batteries (eliminating the need for a cord or extension cord) and are fitted with LED lights instead of flashlight bulbs.
There are two types of grill lights: A light that attaches directly to the handle and shines down from a single angle and a light fitted to a gooseneck that gives you more mobility and a wider range.
A good product will essentially help you to cook your food to perfection, instead of cremating your sausages.
Why Use One?
Whether you’re searing meat over a hot grill or smoking meat low n slow-style, monitoring the charcoal carefully throughout the cook is essential.
However, doing so in the dark isn’t easy, and you often have to guess how the charcoal is doing.
Additionally, when you’re cooking at night, you have a much higher chance at over or undercooking your meat, which will end in an inedible meal — especially if it’s undercooked!
Most homes have some form of outdoor lighting on the patio or lawn, but this type of lighting is mostly designed for safety, not for grilling.
However, with the best grill lights, you’ll get a dedicated beam pointed straight to where you need it, illuminating your entire cooking area so you can clearly see what you’re doing while still having both hands free.
Choosing the Best Grill Light for Your Needs
On our list further down, we’ve featured handle-mounted and gooseneck lights for your barbecue. But, which one you should choose depends more on your grill than your preference.
A gooseneck light will need to be attached to a shelf, if your barbecue doesn’t have that, a handle-mounted light is the way to go.
A handle-mounted light will generally use a clamp that’s tightened by a screw. The clip is then attached to the handle tightly.
Another option is Velcro straps. Velcro straps are easier to remove, making them a better choice if you plan on removing the light when it’s not needed.
Considerations When Buying
Finding a good grill light is pretty simple; however, there are five key features you should look for:
- It fits your grill: They aren’t one-size-fits-all, in fact, some grill lights are made to fit specific models. Other lights are only able to attach to a shelf or requires a handle.
- It’s powerful enough: Lumens is the combined amount of visible light emitted by a source, in this case, your grill light. A good one will have a lumens rating of at least 100. Note, not all manufacturers disclose the lumens rating, so if you can’t find that, look at how many LEDs it contains — three LED lights should be the minimum.
- It should be able to focus on the cooking area.
- It should preferably be heat resistant and weatherproof.
- Battery-operated: This will give you more freedom regarding where you locate the light and how you can use it. A portable light can be used in the car, RV or other places when not on the grill.
The Best Grill Lights Available in 2021
Cave Tools Grill Light
However, you can find this exact light sold by various vendors with different logo stamps and various accessories, such as a gift box or cookbook. We’re going to tell you all about the light itself and then review the sellers.
This light attaches to the handle of most grills with a diameter of up to 1.45 inches in diameter. As the lid is raised, the light will be directly above the grates, giving you a good view of everything that’s going on. The light is fitted with 10 LEDs divided into two sets of five, giving you a total of 105 lumens.
The light is constructed of ABS plastic, making it water-resistant but not weatherproof. It can withstand temperatures of up to 356 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius). Another excellent feature of this light is the ability to swivel 190 degrees, enabling you to light up any grill area.
It’s quite a compact light, measuring 7.5 x 3.5 x 1.8 inches, it won’t interfere with the handle or be in the way.
Three AA batteries power the light and, conveniently, these are included, so it’s ready to use. It gives you around 18 hours of continuous use or 50 hours on auto-shutoff mode. Additionally, there are three levels of brightness, including 10%, 75% and 100%.
- Continuous floodlight patterns give you excellent coverage even on a large grill.
- Long battery life.
- Touch-sensitive on/off switch.
- Fits almost every grill.
- Resistant to heat and water.
- Includes a weather bag and screwdriver to easy access to the batteries.
- Three brightness levels.
- It can’t stand and has to be attached to a handle.
- It’s not weatherproof, so if it’s raining, you can’t use it.
- Short neck.
This particular light model is extremely popular. Hence, why so many are copying the design, we certainly agree; it’s a great light with a robust construction.
We found that the best vendor for this light is Grilluminator. The website has excellent reviews and is well put together — see for yourself here:
Led Weberlight Handle Light
Attention Weber grill owners! Here is the one accessory you can’t do without if you enjoy barbecuing late into those warm summer evenings. Let’s shine a light on one handy little gadget.
Actually, the gadget is going to shine a light on your dinner. Designed to fit most Weber grills, this clever light installs easily on the lid handle. When you lift the lid, the tilt sensor automatically turns on the bright LED lights, illuminating your cooking area.
Closing the lid shuts it off again – no more fumbling with a flashlight or hunting for an ON/OFF switch.
If you’re prone to walking away and leaving the lid open (or if you do it on purpose at the end of a cook to cool off the grill), the handle light shuts itself off in 30 minutes. That’ll save a few AAAs right there.
Cooking in a light drizzle (we’ve all done it) is no problem, thanks to the weather-resistant acrylic housing. Be warned, though – it’s resistant, not proof. It’s always best to cover your grill between uses, anyway.
The amount of light should be sufficient for 2- and 3-burner Webers. If you own a 4-burner grill, you may want to consider buying a pair for total side-to-side coverage.
- Tilt sensor turns light on and off automatically
- Casts a wide light from a high vantage point
- Water-resistant design for all-weather use
- Auto-shutoff for battery conservation
- Can install more than one on wide grills with ease
- Only designed for Weber Spirit, Genesis, and Genesis II grills
- May not hold up to very heavy rain
- Limited ability to point the light where you need it
We could all use a little extra light in our lives.
The simplicity of this light makes it a valuable grilling asset, especially when the party runs late.
LED Concepts® Grill Light
- GRILLING & BBQ LIGHT – Perfect for outdoor grilling and BBQ – Provides instant illumination exactly where you need it
- MULTI-FLEX NECK – 22 Inch Goose-neck that adjusts 360° to illuminate any task
- ADJUSTABLE SCREW CLAMP – Sturdy adjustable clamp that attaches to various surfaces to ensure that the weight of the extendable light won’t topple over
- MAGNETIC BASE – Attaches and holds to most metal surfaces – Cordless task light made of weather-resistant aluminum construction
- LED LIGHT TECHNOLOGY – 12 LED energy efficient lighting that lasts longer than regular light bulbs – Provides even illumination – Uses 3 AAA batteries (NOT INCLUDED)
What we like the most about this light is the two-way base — it’s fitted with a sturdy magnetic base that will keep the light in place, or use the C-clamp to attach it to the handle of the barbecue.
It features a 22-inch gooseneck that gives you full range and clearance to cover the entire grill.
Furthermore, it has 360-degree flexibility, and it features an all-weather design, enabling you to use it no matter the conditions. However, it shouldn’t be left outside.
- Durable aluminum construction.
- High heat resistance.
- Two different ways to attach the light to the grill.
- Added gooseneck for extended reach.
- Narrow beam.
- It requires three AAA batteries that aren’t not included.
The light beam might be narrow, but the added gooseneck enables you to move the light freely to anywhere it’s needed.
Kosin Barbecue Magnetic Grill Light
A bbq grill light is only useful if it shines where you need it. If you’re tired of lights that seem to always be just off target, here’s a bright idea from Kosin.
You can mount the Kosin Barbecue Magnetic Grill Light anywhere you need it, thanks to a powerful magnetic base.
Changing location? Just pick it up and take the lamp with you – there’s no installation required, so it’s always ready for a change of scenery. It’s also highly compact, measuring nearly 10” in length, but only 1.5” at the base and 1.02” at the head.
For ultimate flexibility, the gooseneck bends, flexes, and pivot through 360 degrees. You can point it absolutely anywhere, no matter where it’s mounted. Even better, this is a 2-pack, so you can double up your lighting, or spread them out to cover the whole grill.
Even if you don’t grill at night, they’re handy for peering inside smokers for a well-lit look at your meat. Plus, you can use them for camping, working on a vehicle, or during a power outage.
Made of aluminum, the lamps are weather-resistant, including wet or extremely hot conditions. For storage or travel, use the included protective case.
My only warning about these lamps is that the magnet won’t stick to stainless steel surfaces, so be sure you have somewhere to stick them before you go ahead and order.
- Feature 9 high-density LEDs for tons of light
- Magnetic base for hands-free operation
- Weather and water resistance for year-round use
- Flexible neck so you can cast light where you need it
- Useful in the garage, basement, or anywhere you need a light
- Uses disposable batteries instead of a built-in rechargeable
- Magnet won’t adhere to stainless steel
I can think of a thousand different ways to use these fabulous little lamps for outdoor cooking at home and on the road, and around the home, RV, cottage, boat, etc.
Stop using your phone for a flashlight around a hot grill – use it to see this link and grab a pair of Kosin Barbecue Grill Lights of your own:
Chef Buddy Adjustable Grill Light
This unique light looks similar to a pair of binoculars fitted on a 15-inch gooseneck — but it does have some excellent features! The dual lights each have three LEDs fitted inside, giving you an intense beam for your grill.
It runs on three AAA batteries, and the head can pivot 360 degrees, giving you more range. The light measures 5.4 x 5 x 16.2 inches.
The only issue is the clamp. It requires a shelf on the grill; otherwise, you might have a hard time attaching it.
The clamp works perfectly on horizontal surfaces, but when attached to anything vertical, it seems to slip despite the added rubber liners that prevent the scratches on the surface.
- Long reach with the 15-inch gooseneck.
- Will fit most grills.
- Very bright light thanks to the dual LEDs.
- Not weatherproof.
- Batteries aren’t included.
- Weak clamp.
- Plastic construction.
This is an awesome light for the money, it’s bright and well-built. However, the clamp is rather weak.
LIGHT IT by Fulcrum
- Adjustable Neck - Heavy duty metal gooseneck adjusts and holds to nearly any position
- Install Anywhere – Wireless lighting installs anywhere you need it without plugs, wires or tools
- Clamp On - Large, powerful clamp adapts to a variety of surfaces.
- Ultra-Bright LED Light – Floodlight technology provides ultra-bright, glare-free, wide beam lighting you never have to replace
- Energy Efficient - LEDs last 100,000 hours using 3 AA batteries (not included)
The Light It model is fitted with six LED lights that can last for up to 100,000 hours.
It’s a wide-beam lamp fitted on a 19.5-inch gooseneck.
You can mount it to your grill or on a side table using the clamp — it can grip boards up to 2 inches thick.
It’s a compact light, measuring 3.25 x 27 inches, and it runs on three AA batteries.
- Extra-long gooseneck.
- Can clamp onto thick boards.
- Auto-shutoff feature.
- Sturdy clamp.
- Not weatherproof.
- There could be some rubber on the inside of the clamp for a better grip.
The light works very well on any type of grill, and it gives you a wide beam, enough to light up the entire grate area. It has to be stored indoors, however, since it’s not weatherproof.
Life Mounts All-Weather Grill Light
Although this light is only fitted with a single LED, it’s not the average cheap LED bulb — nope, this one is manufactured by CREE and delivers 300 lumens! If that doesn’t impress you, maybe this will: it runs on a single AA battery.
The manufacturer claims that the light fits every grill, but we have seen a few reviews mentioning it wouldn’t fit smaller grills.
It’s fitted with a Velcro strap on the plus side, making it super simple to put on and take off when needed. The mounting is patented Universal Flex Mount, made of rubber, and can rotate 360 degrees. It even comes with an adjustable lens that you can change to between a focused or floodlight.
To top it all off, it’s heat-resistant, weatherproof, and includes a lifetime guarantee. Another plus is that you can strap it unto any other surface when you need a little reading light or even a bicycle light — it also has a strobe mode.
- Requires a single AA battery.
- The Velcro strap is easy to use and enables you to use it elsewhere.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Weatherproof and heat-resistant.
- Adjustable lens.
- The Velcro strap will only suit larger diameters.
- Narrow light.
This durable light gives you a strong beam with the use of a single battery. It is, however, best suited for smaller grills.
That was it, our top five best grill lights. We’ve been through many lights, but we will say that it’s essential first to decide whether you need a handle-mounted or gooseneck light as these two differ significantly.
Handle-mounted lights will light directly above the cooking area, so the clamp must fit your grill. One of our favorite handle-mounted lights is the Life Mounts All-Weather Grill Light, it’s super simple to set up and has a very versatile mounting system — it also requires only a single battery.
Gooseneck lights will require a side table or shelf to stand on. Although you might be able to attach it to the handle somehow, this type isn’t meant for that, and it will get in the way. But, the gooseneck does offer excellent range and flexibility.
If you like a gooseneck light, we highly recommend Light It by Fulcrum — it’s an awesome light despite not being weatherproof. It has a very sturdy gooseneck and holds firmly to most surfaces.
Do you often grill in the evening? How do you usually light up the grill? Tell us about your experience down below.